THE FARMSTEAD IN FARMSTEAD PARK
Since William Penn deeded ownership to Dr. Nicholas More in the 1680s, this property and the development of this Farmstead had essentially four family dynasties spanning over three centuries of American history: the Dr. More Family, the Reidenbach Family, the Kimble Family, and the Malloy Family.
They were Baptists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Quakers, and Methodists. They were doctors, prospectors, farmers, manufacturers, blacksmiths and realtors.
Chain of Title
A chain of title search was performed in 2012 at the request of Friends of Boileau.
The Farmstead is currently owned by Upper Moreland Township and is part of the township’s park system, known as Farmstead Park. It consists of 10 acres of land and it is located at 2668 Byberry Road, Hatboro, PA. 19040. Contained within the 10 acres are four stone structures, those being a Farmhouse, Barn, Carriage House, and Spring House.
These structures remain one of the few, nearly complete, 18th century farmsteads in the area, and may well be the last parcel of land in the original twenty-five square miles of the original Manor of Moreland to be held by members of the Dr. Nicholas More family.
The Four Longest Family-owned Tenures:
1684-1749 More/Keach/Harrison Family (65 years)
1754-1806 Reidenbach/Harner Family (52 years)
1806-1903 Kimble/Tyson Family (97 years)
1944-2002 Malloy Family (58 years)
Period (in years) Owner(s)
2002 - Present: Upper Moreland Township
1982 - 2002: William H Malloy, Jr. and Ruth Ann Malloy
1944 - 1982: William H Malloy, Sr and Ethel Malloy
1944 - 1944: John R Wilkie and F. Lucile Wilkie (owned for one day)
1933 - 1944: Louie Lennig Rowland
1930 - 1933: Corbit Lovering and Ida Rowland Lovering
1903 - 1930: Thompson Gregg and Elgerda P Sexton/Murray
1806 - 1903: Richard Kimbel Family (seven deeds associated with this period)
1754 - 1806: Michael Rhiderpoak (Reidenbach), John Harner, and others
Additional deed research and verification is needed to complete the following ownership, though much of what is below is well documented in Charles Harper Smith's publications on his research into land tenure in Hatboro and vicinity from the 1930s.
1749 - 1754: Joshua Potts
1747 - 1749: Joseph Eaton
1739 - 1747: John Harrison (grandson of Mary Keach/great-grandson of Dr. More)
1689 - 1739: Mary Keach, Née More (daughter of Dr. Nicholas More)
1682 - 1689: Dr. Nicholas More
1682 - William Penn, Proprietor
Born in Upper Moreland Township, Montgomery Co., Pa., Nathaniel Boileau (1763-1850) epitomized the American spirit, and his way of life was revered then as it is today. To local historians, he exhibited
'sterling integrity, patriotic aims, ingrain republican principles and unselfish benevolence.’
After the Township’s purchase of this Farmstead in 2002, the organization was formed and named in honor of the distinguished Pennsylvania statesman, as he and members of this notable family were relatives, friends and fellow countrymen to those who lived on and near this Farmstead in the township’s early days.
The buildings ...
The mid-18th century Spring House was updated circa 1901, when a cottage was added. It is believed to have served as a home to Sarah Kimble Tyson, one of the last members of the Richard Kimble family tenure (1806-1907)
Built in two phases, the Farmhouse consists of an English period and German period construction. It is believed that a connected workhouse was attached to the southern elevation during the German period of ownership.
This 18th century era "garage" was updated in 1950 to accommodate living quarters in the attic, or "garret." Rough-hewn timbers are still visible and served to shelter carriages and riding chairs from the early days of our country.
Incredible interior wood joinery, and wedding marks are exhibited in this hybrid Pennsylvania Dutch style bank barn. It is an exceptional example of early German influence in architecture. A new roof was installed to help protect the interiors.